• Historical Fiction
  • General Fiction and Women Writers
  • YA Fiction
  • Suspense and Thrillers
  • Memoirs and Non Fiction
  • Classics and Mashups

Friday, November 29, 2013

Sharing Reading Habits

 
This is another of those Tags from Debra's Book Café which I thought might be fun to share with you.  I don't have anything to do this morning except drink Nantucket Blend coffee and cook breakfast for my husband and myself, so it's a good time killer while I do laundry and that!  I'm just between books and looking to finish "Camille," as well, by Alexander Dumas fils.  A wonderful classic, by the way.

I hope this isn't too long and boring, but I'll give it a try:

1)  Do you have a particular place to read?

I do.  I most often read in my little recliner which is a mini one...perfect for my 5'l" size.  It folds out into a chaise lounge.  It's candy apple green and I love it.  I can't get more comfortable than that.  I have a regular lamp and a reading lamp.  It's very rare that I read anywhere else.

2)  Bookmark or random piece of paper?

Bookmark, absolutely!  I love bookmarks and can't resist them in bookstores.  I like the paper ones best although I've just found a metal one with a fox on it that clips to the page and has a ribbon.  I like bookmarks with embellishment "tails" of tassels or ribbons.

3)  Can you just stop reading anywhere or do you have to stop at the end of a chapter?

Unless I'm interrupted for a sort of an emergency, I have to stop at the end of a chapter.  I'm compelled!

4)  Do you eat or drink when reading?

I generally have a diet coke beside me.  I do eat on the occasion though that's really not my norm.  I'll have a piece of cheese or something small...a bit of chocolate...guilty pleasure.  Have to be very careful with chocolate, though, when handling a book!

5)  Multi-tasking:  music or tv when reading?   I choose to read in silence.  I think anything else is distracting.  But once in a while I listen to movie themes or classical music if it fits a book that's a classic.

6)  One book at time or several at once?  I like to read more than one book at a time.  I got into this habit years ago.  I concentrate on one book, but I always have another one or two in the wings started.

7)  Reading at home or elsewhere?  I don't like to read elsewhere although I've tried it at the doctor's office, the pool and eating out alone.  I never seem to get very far with the book.  It's unnatural for me and I worry about soiling my book.  OCD!!  :P

8)  Read out loud or silently in your head?   Interesting question.  I read in my head 99% of the time, but when I find a book is confusing or difficult to begin or at any point in the story, I read aloud to myself.  It clarifies the section for me somehow.  It rarely happens anymore but I got into the habit when I was in college and it helps sometimes.  Mostly, I read silently, though.

And, since I've become a grandmother, I read aloud to my grandchildren on cassette tapes.  I send them these at least once or twice a year because we don't live close to each other. 

9)  Read ahead or skip pages?   I flip through the book, but I don't read ahead.  Sometimes I try to get the name of new characters to see how many there are, but I'm not into spoilers.  I'd never read the ending, for instance.

10)  Breaking the spine or keeping like new?   I would practically have my arm broken before I'd break a spine!!!  I cringe at the thought!  It ruins a book as far as I'm concerned.

11) Do you write in your books?   Don't have a fit here my bookish friends... once in a while I do.  I put a note in one here and there, but it's very rare.  If the author completely knocks my head off with something, I'm likely to put a star or comment beside it.  I figure I'm probably the only one who'll read the book, and I always use pencil.  If the book is ever read by my family or sold, it will be a "find" for someone else, I figure.

12)  What type of book do you buy...hard or soft cover?   I buy both.  However, if it's something I know I want to keep permanently in my library, I always buy a hard copy.  I only buy the larger paperbacks when I buy a soft cover...I don't like the small ones.

13)  How long does it take you to read a book?  I can read a book in one sitting if it's within 300 pages.  If it's longer, it may take two sittings.

14)  Do you carry your books around the house with you?   LOL  Isn't it crazy?!  I do sometimes!!
I treat them like my darlings! 

15)  Do you keep all the books you read?  No.  If they are only fair to good books and aren't on my fabulous list, I don't keep them.  Or if they aren't collectible or written by my favorite authors, I don't. I have special friends who like to read and can't afford books, or I give them to Goodwill.

16)  How many books do you own?  I've never counted, but I would say I have over 1,000 books.  I have 4 bookcases, a huge armoire and boxes in the garage that I've collected.  Not to mention the stacks I have everywhere!  I try to cull them out at least two or three times a year because it gets overwhelming but it's difficult for me to do!


So that's all I know to share with you!  If you have more questions or comments, please leave them for me below.  I'd love to know any reading habits you have, as well.  And if you follow this tag, please let me and my other readers know so we can follow you!!

Deborah



2 comments:

Unknown

i like it, success Obat Penyakit Infeksi Lambung Tradisional

Unknown

very beautiful Obat Alami Infeksi Paru Paru

Share your thoughts!

Blogaholic Designs”=