• Historical Fiction
  • General Fiction and Women Writers
  • YA Fiction
  • Suspense and Thrillers
  • Memoirs and Non Fiction
  • Classics and Mashups

Monday, January 21, 2013

Bookish Moments: Marilyn Monroe

 
I was reading last night about Marilyn Monroe and her love of books.  There's an old Vanity Fair article about her, and it mentions a book called "Fragments" by Sam Kashner that "enters the mind of a legend: the scars of sexual abuse; the pain of psychotherapy; the betrayal by her third husband, Arthur Miller; the constant specter of hereditary madness; and the fierce determination to master her art."
 
 
 
 
Featured in several of the pictures in this article in Vanity Fair you'll see Marilyn holding a book and sitting in front of her various bookshelves or beside stacks of books. 
So good to know she was bookish, too.
I think this is an aspect of her we don't often stop to ponder.  While it was obvious her education was rudimentary in English grammar (spelling, and construction), it hasn't been discussed much whether she was an astute conversationalist about books and authors.
At least it hasn't in anything I've read to date.
Do you know of anything about this?
 
I'm anxious to read "Fragments."  I'd like to know more about Marilyn, of course, but I'm also hoping to read more of her journaling, which I hope will be found in this book. 
 
The Vanity Fair November 2010 article shows some of that journaling.  I found it on my new iPad app.  Oh, didn't I tell you I have a new iPad?!  :]  I'm just learning to use one...
 
Just a bookish sort of moment for me at midnight last night, or 1AM.
 
Deb/TheBookishDame

1 comments:

Jessica

I had no idea Marilyn was bookish! How interesting! I have found myself drawn to learning more of her lately as well. I have read that article in VF as well, and it may have been what spawned my interest. I share the same fascination with Marilyn, and who she was. I look forward to reading more about her.

Share your thoughts!

Blogaholic Designs”=