• Historical Fiction
  • General Fiction and Women Writers
  • YA Fiction
  • Suspense and Thrillers
  • Memoirs and Non Fiction
  • Classics and Mashups

Monday, January 16, 2012

Trade PBs from HarperCollins! Fabuloso Reads this Winter in Paranormal...


Does this look like a book I'd read ordinarily?  NO...  But, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution to read more books out of my comfort zone, I decided to take the HarperCollins challenge and read an assortment of their Trade Paperback books with a paranormal, urban fantasy, shapeshifting, etc., bent.  Here's what I found out:

"Tiger Eye: The First Dirk & Steele Novel" by Marjorie M. Liu~ Exotic setting of Beijing, China, exotic paranormal situation and an author of extraordinary talents to charm a reader!  This is a treasure hidden previously from the likes of me!  I'm not letting another Liu book get by me.  New, huge fan of hers and have to read the next Dirk and Steele novel which is now available.  I read an excerpt of this book; and, you can too on Amazon.  I was instantly caught up in it and had to run to my local bookstore to purchase the book!  Couldn't believe I was rummaging through the romance, trade pb section!  But, I was! :]  Quote:  "A smile on the face hides a dagger on the tongue."  Great book. 
5 stars

 
"Diaries of an Urban Panther": I know, this still doesn't look like something I'd read, right?  Well, I tried it, and it knocked my cute, jewel bedazzled flip flops off!  Violet Jordan, writer for a low-budget horror movie company avoids a pack of dogs/werewolves?  or is she one of them?  Witty, sharp and creative, Amanda Artista's characters flip off the pages to laugh with you in this paranormal romance.  Different from anything I usually read, but I'm in love with Amanda's "Stalker Boy," the beautiful male who saves her Violet.  I love Artista's writing style.

"Blood of the Wicked": Is it just me, or is it getting warm in here?  I think I'm blushing... Urban fantasy...my first bite.  
I found this futuristic New Seattle book awesome.  A time when "witches" have survived an apocalyptic disaster only to be hunted and killed by a ruling government order whose mission it is to execute them for crimes against humanity. Someone has to be the scapegoats. The covens have become the new terrorists according to the Order. This is a novel a bit gritty and with the use of sexually explicit scenes, which can sometimes be more than I want to fool with, but if you can get past that...a fabulous and infinitely fascinating story.  I want to read more from Karina Cooper.   I discovered I really like urban fantasy!

"666 Park Avenue": A cute, chicklit novel that's been out for a while, but I hadn't read it, and I loved it for quick and fun entertainment.  From the opulence and elegance of Paris's gilded hotels and fancy shops to a hamlet with mysteries deep in the French farmlands and Manhattan, this is a munchie morsel of paranormalcy fun.  Witchie!  Yum... It's a light read. Isn't the cover great?


"Halfway to the Grave": Here is a book I've had on my shelf for at least a year, along with the rest of the books in this series, and I hadn't picked it up to read.  So sorry I hadn't because when I did, I absolutely loved it!  Southerners know how to spin a yarn, and a Carolina girl raised on Saturday morning vampire movies can do nothing but grow up to write some of the best novels you're ever going to read.
Ohio~"Cat Raven" Halfbreed teams up with vampire "Bones" to track and kill rogue vampires.  Replete with ghosts who tell about murdered girls, and various other simply captivating moments, this is a fantastic book that paves the way for a not-to-be-missed series!
Perfectly priced, and on ebook, too.
"A Quick Bite": I first discovered Lynsay Sands's Argeneau vampires a couple of years ago.  I don't know why I haven't mentioned them before this.  I love her snappy dialog.  These vampires are so cool and so much fun.  The entire series just begs to be read, although I did find it difficult to keep a string of continuity when I tried to follow along.  Nevertheless, the characters themselves make Lynsay's books a delight to read.  I highly recommend them for good fun.

Here are some other suggestions for trade paperbacks from Harper Collins:

Sable Grace-ASCENSION
Kristin Miller-INTERVAMPTION
Janet Mullany-JANE AND THE DAMNED
Pamela Palmer- DESIRE UNTAMED
Jaime Rush - A PERFECT DARKNESS
Kerrelyn Sparks-HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONARE VAMPIRE
Juliana Stone - HIS DARKEST HUNGER
Joss Ware - BEYOND THE NIGHT
CL Wilson - LORD OF THE FADING LANDS


I've been reading that TPB's are selling at an all-time low volume these days, and it's a shame because they are still quite portable for those who like to read in this manner. The price point remains good for a published hard cover instead of an ebook.  Lots of people need and enjoy this size book for their libraries and for swapping. That's why I buy some of them.  I like to think of them as my "quick fixes."  Especially when I'm travelling and may forget a book along the way.  And, I like the covers in hand often better than reading an ebook.

Let us know who your favorite authors are that are published in TPBs.  

One of my newest favorites is Nalini Singh who wrote "Kiss of Snow."  I might never have ever read her if I hadn't checked into Harper's TPB collection this winter.

5 stars for Harper Collins!

Deborah/TheBookishDame

0 comments:

Share your thoughts!

Blogaholic Designs”=