• Historical Fiction
  • General Fiction and Women Writers
  • YA Fiction
  • Suspense and Thrillers
  • Memoirs and Non Fiction
  • Classics and Mashups

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"World Without End" by Ken Follett ~ The Movie



OVERVIEW :

Based on Ken Follett's epic novel of the same name, this eight-hour mini-series set in the Dark Ages finds England preparing for a prolonged war with France as the Black Death descends on Europe. As the war drums begin to beat, Caris and her lover Merthin defy both the church and the crown by forming a sovereign community in Kingsbridge. Meanwhile, an assassin targets the king, and a devastating development threatens to hinder the arrival of a new era of enlightenment.

PARTICULARS OF THE MOVIE :

Produced by:  Sony Pictures
Length:  Over 6 hours
Genre:  Historical Fiction
Taken from:  Novel by the same name and author
More about the novel/series:  Ken Follett


Mini Video of the Series/Movie:




THE DAME REVIEWS:

I was searching Netflix last weekend for something to watch while I was knitting, and fell upon this awesome miniseries made into a movie!  I was up until the wee hours of the morning watching the whole thing...actually, I stayed up until 4AM.  Killer movie!  It is full of stars, and fabulous acting.
I read the book last year, and this show really lived up to it. 

The location and scenery are excellent.  Clothing design is good, albeit some of the fabrics look a bit reproduction Italianette...particularly the ruling class costuming.  The characters are perfectly suited for the roles.  I thought the whole cast was extraordinarily perfect for their parts. 

This is a movie in series not to be missed.  I have the highest regard for it, and have to tell you it's one of my very favorite books to show.  Can't go wrong with this one.  The only thing I'd suggest is that you start early and expect that you won't want to stop watching before it's over!

5 stars            Deborah/TheBookishDame

3 comments:

Unknown

I agree, I watched this last year when it first came out and loved it!! I'd read and enjoyed the book countless times. I've watched the miniseries 2 or 3 times. I probably don't look for the things you do, I'm more interested in content & the believability of the actors and kind of go by my feelings.

Deb

Thanks for your note, Julie. The actors were believable, weren't they!? The only one who was less than that to me was the one who played the young (son) King. I thought he was stretching for the role. But, it didn't spoil the movie since he wasn't featured a great deal.
Wonderful show!

Chrissy

I never watched this but it looks fabulous!!! I so want to see it now after your post and review.

Share your thoughts!

Blogaholic Designs”=